Life as it happens. Time as it passes.

Chelsey Grace: New Life. New Story

November 13, 2010


As I was taking a bath to prepare for our afternoon visitation in Taguig, Cess calmly knocked at the bathroom door to tell me that some light brownish fluids are starting to trickle down her legs. Since we were told that Cess’ delivery would still be on the 30th, we thought this was just one of those “false alarms.” But at the back of my head I was thinking “did we hear it right, when she said 30th, or it was actually 13th?”

We casually went to Trinity Maternity Clinic at 3:10PM for a precautionary check-up, and to our big surprise Dr. Agnes Dimayuga, Cess’ OB-Gyne, told her that she’s due to deliver “any time soon.” Thinking this wasn’t really “it” yet, we decided to go ahead and have visitation in Taguig. On our way to Taguig, we passed by Powerplant in Rockwell to get some foreign currency exchanged. Cess was feeling some pains already, but after a while it would disappear. After getting our bills exchanged, we decided to go back to the clinic, but not really expecting that she was already about to give birth. Cess even asked me to pass by Jollibee to buy food for both of us.


Around this time, we were already along J.P. Rizal, when Cess asked me to stop by Jollibee to buy her some food. I kept on asking her if she was OK, and she said yes. After parking my car, I went inside the store and left Cess in the car. Upon ordering, the cashier said my order would take 15 more minutes, so I got back to Cess first to check on her. When I checked on her, she was already gripping on to the handles of the door, grimacing in pain. “Ga, masakit na ang balakang ko.”

This was it. *blood pressure rising*

I went back inside the store, cancelled the order, and drove off. I drove as fast as I can, flooring the accelerator from 50 to 90. I had enough time to pass by the house to get the stuff Cess and our baby would be needing for this eventuality, since our house is just 200 meters away from the clinic.


We arrived at the Trinity Maternity Clinic, and about this time, Cess was already in more pain. The nurse who checked her said that the opening was already 5cm, which was only 1cm an hour ago. I found myself multi-tasking between carrying Cess’ things, filling up the paper works, comforting Cess’ while in pain, and texting our friends, church mates and relatives that the baby is on the way.

This is the part where I literally lost track of time. But checking my call log on the phone it was 4:53 that I called my mom to tell her that Cess was in pain already. By this time, it was becoming more unbearable for my wife. Helpless as I was, the only thing I could do was hold Cess’ hand, and assure her that everything will be fine (as if telling her that would take the pain away, right?).

Soon the stretcher came, and Cess was brought to the labor room. This was 5:15PM, 45 minutes after arriving at the hospital. My mom arrived at the hospital at 5:23PM. I next called my sister Kish, who was just coming home from somewhere. I was trying to call everybody else, but the signal started to get choppy in the clinic. After getting things settled, I got to my phone and started texting people that Cess was about to give birth. Ate Yam Abarca, our church orchestra head and my sister arrived at around 6PM.


The nurse told me that we could stay at the room Cess would be staying, Room 214. After 8 minutes, the nurse told me that MY DAUGHTER WAS ALREADY AT THE NICU.

I ran… no wait… flew by the flights of stairs and rushed immediately to the NICU. I buzzed the doorbell, and the frantic attendant greeted me. I told her I was the dad of the new born baby with the surname Cayanan. Since she was attending to two other premature newborns in the NICU, she told me to wait for a while.

After 5 minutes, she pushed the curtains to the left, and carefully pulled a baby crib…

…on which was quietly lying a cute bundle of joy who was just opening her tiny, round eyes, and yawning with those pouty little lips.

That’s my daughter right there.

Chelsey Grace Dizon Cayanan.

Around 7:00PM

Soon the flood of text messages came pouring in. My senior pastor, Dr. Benny Abante, Jr., called me up to congratulate me as the newest member of the dad club. My other wedding godfathers and godmothers called me up and texted me with words of congratulations. Cess’ mom also texted and told me she would be coming over by Monday, as she still has some stuff to finish in Laguna. As soon as I was able to get pictures, I took shots of the beautiful little girl that will light up our house very, very soon. I linked up online and had the first pictures uploaded on Facebook. Dr. Wazzumer, the pediatrician attending to Chelsey, came to our room to formally congratulate me and inform me of Chelsey’s condition. According to Dr. Wazzumer, my baby girl is relatively small in size and weight, as she weighs only 2.5 kilos or 5.5 pounds. But there’s nothing to worry about it, said the doctor, who also told me that Chelsey will be undergoing some blood chemistry tests to check for any pre-existing congenital disorders, which is customary for newborn babies.


Cess was finally brought to her room, after nearly 4 hours of being held in the operating room. Apparently, she had fallen asleep after giving birth. The attending physician informed me that from the time she was brought into the delivery room, to the time she gave birth, it took only 11 minutes for the baby to come out. If the time from which Cess’ pelvic area began to be in pain, to the time the doctor found out the opening was already 5cm were counted, that would be around 56 minutes. In short, the laboring and delivery was no more than an hour, a very quick one, according to the medical staff. Five minutes later, Cess’ relatives Tita Sally, Tita Jinky, Tito Rey, Ysel and one of our young people from church, Dianne, dropped by to visit Cess and look at the baby. Cess recounted what was happening inside the delivery room, while I was narrating the things happening outside. After 15 more minutes of catching up with the delivery story, they went ahead home. My sister also left five before 10, the cut-off time for all visitors.

So, officially, Chelsey Grace Dizon Cayanan was born on November 13, 2010 at 5:31PM, weighing 5.5 pounds.

As of this writing, the newest mother is sweetly sleeping. As for the newest dad, I’m still up and running—probably the effect of the adrenaline rush brought about by the sudden turn of events. I still have yet to settle down and reboot my mind, but I think I have enough grasp of reality to retell you the story of the day. Getting this far with my blog means I’ve got it all kept together—the events, the images, and the emotions of what had just transpired.

I can go on writing and blogging about this story, but believe me, the half has never yet been told. For now, allow me to thank God first for giving Cess a normal delivery, and of course, for giving us the gift of life through a baby girl. Thanks also to all who prayed for Cess and the baby. You’re all too many to mention. Don’t worry. The Lord has a complete listing of all of you who interceded for us. Thank you very much.

To my daughter, welcome to the world, Chelsey Grace!


2 responses

  1. Pr. Henry Pangan

    Thanks God for the safe and fast delivery of Cess.

    November 14, 2010 at 8:56 PM

  2. Samuel


    November 15, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s